19 November 2013

I'm a Case Study!
Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'm a Case Study!

Today is the Doctor's examination day. It is like the SPM/STPM examination day where trainee doctors are tested for the first time to see how well they communicate with the patients and understand their diagnosis. Accuracy of patient's detail is vital and they (the trainee doctors) are rated based on the core understanding of the patient's medical history, complications, family background and social concerns.

Each department has 1 long case, and 3 short cases. I was one of the long case studies. My very first time in the hospital as a case study. Very briefly, I was interviewed by 2 doctors.

They are pretty lucky they got me as their case study, because as a responsible 'patient', I did my homework - I remembered all events in chronological order making it easier for them to trace my medical history, I remembered all the name of medications I've had, taken, allergic to and taking, I remembered all the minute details like complications and side effects.

The first doctor seems to be pretty decent. Perhaps a little too decent. The second, on the other hand is over-confident, very controlling when asking questions. Talk about the differences between an introvert and extrovert! Overall, both did a great job within the allocated time (45 minutes for each doctor)....well... except they both DID CHEATED a little,  ie. asking me for spellings, borrowing my iPhone to use the calculator, asking me for definition of an abbreviation.

The result? The first doctor nailed it 100%. The second, well, he didn't ask me about my social concerns like financial burden and my working experience so he was quite upset when being questioned by his senior doctors/professors. Hoo hooo hooo...

I got paid RM100 for this - for sitting/lying down on a bed for 5 hours with breakfast/lunch provided and talking to doctors. A pretty good experience for me, I'd say.

0 bright lights:

Post a Comment