17 January 2007

My current concern
Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My current concern

Just realized I haven't laid my hands on creatives for the past few months. Either that, or there isn't enough time for me to sit down and conceptualize a design. No big deal, but definitely no small issue either. Its all about rushing to get things done, rushing for approval, impress the clients by meeting the strict dealine, and its considered a good job done at the end of the day.

But thats not what I aimed for.

I have no doubt about my personal work performance. Unless I said 'no', I would most likely get things done the way its supposed to be done and on time. But with each so called 'good-job-done' lately, I noticed there's a trait. I don't really like my work. I don't enjoy the execution process. Its not the project that I dislike, its the way I choose to execute it.

Time constrain leads to reduce quality of work - To speed things up recently / To loosen up the tight schedule, its all about 'plunk in it . wrap it up . done' - to the certain extent, I don't really feel like calling it my portfolio. How... very embarassing, seriously! For someone with 2.5 years of experience? THESE kinda work quality? Aww.. c'Mon..

Now I know that is a very unhealthy way of doing my job. I would constantly remind myself not to repeat the same darn mistake again. But Heck, when deadline becomes deadlineS, its hard NOT to 'plunk in it . wrap it up . done' - hassle free and still manage to keep the client happy. Sounds like we've got nothing to lose eh?

How WRONG*. How very very wrong.
Morally wrong.
Ethically wrong.
Professionally wrong.

There's no QA. There's no QC.

Most of the people would go - "Aiyaa.. well, thats what they get within such short notice and allocated timeline-lar. Very good already laa" . And there you go, Passed with Credits (uhh, arguably correct)

But does it really work that way? Frankly speaking, I don't feel good at all. It sucks when you're pushing certain designs to LIVE for the sake of publishing it - and you know you haven't throw in your best effort to beautify that baby of yours. Simply 'unprofessional' - Yep, thats how I am beginning to see myself these days.

The funny thing is, no one said a single word about it. Some even complimented it. Good job done? Even I myself would have to think twice before acknowledging and 'humbly' receiving the credits given to me.

Because? Its not a good job done...
Because? Lack of details...
Because? Lack of QC...
Because? Lack of time...
Because? Short notices...
Because? Inefficiency...

*But having said all that, I'm not saying its always wrong to do things the 'shortcut' way. When given time and proper direction, 'shortcut' is just another way to ease the entire execution process. You can still produce a lovely job-gehh.... Just like how you would CTRL+C / CTRL+V to copy / paste certain things on your PC - convenient eh?

Our goals and perceptions are different. I already have my answer - I don't like the way it is now - deadlines after deadlines, multiple deadlines in a day, I felt pressured as the day goes by. Unnecessary tension which could've been prevented with proper (and realistic) timeline and proper task delegation.

What say you?

Do share your thoughts. Don't take things too personally-ya. Also, correct me if I'm wrong. I need to learn too..

3 comments:

  1. finally someone understands...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... i think u blogged this right after we had the conversation on the phone eh? Kekeke..

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahaha millfross - can't remember leh. izzit? all I remember is u asking me what to eat where to eat.. LMAO!

    ReplyDelete