02 October 2013

Ugly truth?
Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Ugly truth?

It was a day out with Yunko. We had lunch and tea together.

As she just got back from a trip with Bliss82 from Thailand, the conversation kicks off with me asking her about the vacation. Not much of a surprise, I kinda predicted most of the outcome from her trip. Despite the fact that was a nice get-together, it wasn't the most pleasant type of holiday. Guess they were both stressed out - from what? I haven't got a clue, but I'm sure disagreement contributes mostly to it. But hey, at least they went for a break.

Our conversation leads to more and more topic. Like every other tea session, there's always a bitching session about every earth, sand, air, people, universe that we came across. Again, I'm not gonna dwell much into the details. But one thing I have learned from this meet up is that one can really lose a great deal of good friends when it comes to or concerns monetary matters and chronic illnesses. The saying that you can 'lose friends when you are ill' is indeed, true. Noted, checked and verified.

When you are in deep financial problem, people start criticizing you for not knowing to save or look for a better career move. When you are in deep relationship problem, people start attacking you for not knowing to settle down. When you are in deep illness problem, people start avoiding you because you are handicapped and at any time may be of a health threat.

When you are well off, capable and doing good, people recognize your actions, trust in you, listen to you, you have nothing to lose. I guess that is only human nature, but if you asked me, I feel sad that this is happening. Think about it, those who are feeling down are the ones who needed encouragement and support most - but were often neglected because of such negativity reason, whereas those who are in their peak gets all the positive feedback from everyone around them. How absurd.

Friends changed. People changed. I can't expect all my friends to be the same as when I first met them in college. People do grow up. Friends will have their own family, they will face a new set of challenges. They have new burdens to worry about, they will think and act differently, they will think for themselves. For the better or for the worse - well, no one is in any position to judge. You can only evaluate it based on your very own perspective and decide from there if you still want to keep and maintain the friendship, let loose and probably just settle in for an acquaintance-based relationship or simply let go of it.

As I write.. I hate to be saying this, but I know and I felt that I am slowly losing friends. I'm seeing a clearer picture now. I hate to see my friends wearing a mask in front of me. Sometimes I wish they can just be honest with me and tell me the truth than to have me discovered the truth myself and get hurt.

Do I feel mistreated? I dunno.. but rest assured, I won't let myself feel that way.

1 comment:

  1. Positive breeds positive. Get rid of toxic friends, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete